Thursday, May 10, 2007

Curious book in London

Finally I got my hands on this book- 'The Curious Incident of the dog in the night-time' and read it in one go. Before reading, I had no clue as to what the book was about. I just knew that it was well appreciated by people whose opinions I value in these literary matters. And I loved it. It reminded me of 'Catcher in the rye', another book that I loved reading. Both are quite different yet similar in some ways. For one, both have the protagonists as narrators and these protagonists are not 'normal' per se. And the books are filled with their opinions about things.

I read this book in the unlikeliest of places. Sitting in the French Consulate in London, I started reading this book. I only had to read a few pages to discover that the narrator was living somewhere in England and that he had been to France and also that he hated France. And there I was waiting for a visa to go to France. All in all, the book is a must-read if only to realise how there could be a simple view of the seemingly complicated things around us.

Yesterday, I did spend a good deal of time walking around a small part of London between Victoria and Kensington. I had been once before to central London (have been many times at Heathrow but thats not exactly the London you would want to visit) and wanted to blog about it then but never got down to it. The best memory of the previous visit was sitting high up on Trafalgar Square and watching the traffic whiz by at 2am on as saturday night. And this time, it suddenly struck me as to what exactly I was doing. I was walking in London! I would have been easily passed over as yet another South-asian origin Londoner. I was being a part of that same London that I have read about in innumerable stories and saw in so many movies. Half of the road names seemed familiar though I was in those places for the first time. I would have come across them in some story obviously ranging from the 'Umbrella Man' of Roald Dahl to various Jeffery Archer novels. Looking at the high profile shops- Armani to Harrods made me think that the world isnt such a big place afterall :D. Spent some time going around the famous 'National History Museum' which was right opposite the consulate. got drenched by the popular 'London rain' wherein you would find quite many people walking around in black suits and holding black umbrellas.

Another city that I remember most from novels is Paris. Will be visiting it some day, perhaps sooner than you think ;).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the mini review :) always wanted to read that book, but never remembered to read any reviews on it before going to a bookstore...
now I know what to buy next :)

looking forward to the Paris travelogue ... I hope you are visiting the Paris in jail ;)

Unknown said...

Its an amazing bookk.. I had read curious incident on my flight to US [:D] !

Himanshu said...

did u happen to visit Southall in SW London?? Indians there never realize that they are thousands of miles away from their land :D

mythalez said...

@kunal, visitin paris in jail? :-s u want me caught by the gendarme? :( :P

@sumanth, yah truly amazing.

@beegle, nopes .. havent been to southall .. but have been/stayed at Hounslow (near Heathrow)for a day .. its also a place where you rarely come across a non-SouthAsian origin person.

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Thanx 4 d review :)

Dutt A said...

so juss at the age of 23, u could find the world not to be a big place afterall.. hmm remarkable :)
gud, gud. having fun reading ur blogs.

Dutt A said...

oops, if the number in the above comment is a supposedly secret(for some reason) delete it. will write a version without that info :P